Art has always been a big part of my life, eventually leading me to study graphic design in Montreal followed by the Alberta College of Art & Design (ACAD), graduating with a major in Visual Communications. It’s through my design training and career experience that my sense of colour and composition evolved.
After many years working in the design field, I began painting seriously in 2001 enrolling in a painting program at ACAD. I attended classes for several years and continue with the life long process of learning with ongoing workshops.
I paint primarily in oil and would describe my work as impressions of nature inspired by a direct response to my world. When painting, I attempt to infuse the canvas with the energy I feel from my subject. I let the work evolve using colour to express light, illustrate perspective, represent mass and evoke mood.
Growing up in Eastern Canada, relocating to Alberta and finally moving to beautiful British Columbia, has offered me the great opportunity to appreciate the varied beauty of the Canadian landscape. I am inspired by the French Impressionists as well as several members of the Group of Seven and Tom Thomson and their ability to distill the Canadian essence.
• Webster’s Gallery Heart Studio Show, Calgary, AB |2003
• Tsunami Studio Joint Show, Calgary, AB |2004
• Perrenoud Ranch Centennial Show, Cochrane, AB |2005
• Tsunami Studio Joint Show, Calgary AB |2005
• The Calgary Stampede Western Art Show, Calgary, AB |2006-2008
• Perrenoud Ranch Show, Cochrane AB |2006-2007
• Tsunami Studio Joint Show, Calgary AB | 2006
• finalist in the 2008 Heritage Property Corporation Art Competition
• Gerry Thomas Gallery in Waterton, AB
• Arts on Atlantic Gallery, Calgary, AB
• Alicat Art Gallery, Bragg Creek, AB
• Alberta Society of Artists Travelling Forest Show | 2011
• The Calgary Artists Society Spring and Fall Shows, AB |2003-2013
• Nanoose Bay Studio Tour Showcase, BC | Spring 2013-2014
• FCA Fall Juried Show, BC | 2013
• Art selected for cover of Fairwinds Water Conservation Calendar, BC | 2014
• JustImjan Gallery, Cochrane, AB
• FCA Beach Club Resort Show, Parksville, BC | 2014
• FCA Spring Juried Show, BC | 2014
• Society of Canadian Artists juried show Gainsborough Gallery, Calgary, AB | 2015
(special gallery recognition awarded at opening)
• Complemenatary Colours – three person group show, Parksville, BC | 2016
My paintings can be found in private and corporate collections both nationally and internationally and can be viewed at Just Imajan Gallery in Cochrane, Alberta and TOSH 10 Studio + Gallery, 122 Fern Road West, Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island, BC.